Monday, May 23, 2011

Who I Am Silhouette






While students are working on a project, I trace their silhouettes using an old fashioned overhead. Most of the kids have NO IDEA what this "thing" is when I drag it out from the supply closet. They're delighted to find out we are only using it as a light source . . .

"I heard those things were used to write notes . . . "
"Is that the thing that makes that loud noise . . . "

Once students are traced we brainstorm 25 things that make them unique, and then discuss how to represent those ideas symbolically. After a discussion on using space creatively, students begin filling their silhouette with sketches, song lyrics, and poetry. I'm always looking for opportunities for my students to write in art class! The results are as dynamic as each student!

No comments:

Post a Comment